For kids who love animals by a kid who loves animals
1. Male hippopotamuses fling their poop by spinning tails around to impress females and to mark their territory. So, a male hippo bragging would be like, “I can fling my poop ten feet in the air on my first try!”
2. When hippos yawn it doesn’t mean they’re sleepy; it actually means that they are showing off their big teeth to anyone who wants to fight them.
3. Hippos roll in mud, and it acts like a sunscreen for them.
4. Hippopotamuses close up their nostrils underwater so they can breathe longer.
5. Hippos have a very strong bite. They could easily snap a ten-foot crocodile in half.
6. Some big hippos can flip boats over.
7. Hippos are pachyderms. Pachyderms are very large mammals with thick skin.
8. They are related to elephants and the rhinoceros.
9. Hippos eat grass and leaves.
10. Every year, male hippos fight over who is in charge of all of the females. (Hey: Why don’t the females get to decide!?)
Watch this hippo fling poo: